1. Disco Gin, India. The blinding cousin of Bombay Sapphire smells like catfish and boasts a rare oily texture. No mixer in the world will soften the blow. Dance steps recommended when you have to make a run for the bathroom.
2. Dynasty, China. This red wine can be distinguished by its unique bouquet which gives a whole new meaning to the word "stale". The imaginative makers of this wine must have been inspired by the dryness of the Gobi desert and the thinness of the finest rice paper. There is no way Dynasty could be served in France without the sommelier facing 2 years behind bars. Thank God it used to be so expensive one could only afford it once.
3. Bia Hoi, Vietnam. As featured in Wikipedia: "The beer is brewed daily and each bar gets a fresh batch delivered every day in plastic jugs. It is a very light (~3% alcohol) refreshing lager at a fraction of the cost of draft or bottled beer in the Western-style bars. Bia Hơi production is informal and not monitored by any health agency." Best to be consumed in gallons (in the pic on the left) while sitting on kid's sized plastic chairs by the road side. Taste, texture, and smell vary from endearing to somewhat odd.
4. Cachaça, Brazil. This rum like liquor made from fermented sugarcane juice is best known as the basis of the popular drink caipirinha. Should you like to be different this weekend try this: Buy the cheapest bottle of Cachaça somewhere in the vicinity of Rio de Janeiro's slums. Carry it to your home country. Consume it like the Brazilian alchies, straight and luke warm. Bonus prize: There's a fair chance that you'll pass out in the subway.
5. Slivovitz, the Balkans. If consumption of this plum brandy is began in early teen years, chances are that by the age of 14 the future bum can boast a skin free of zits and his first wrinkles the following year. It's also known from Swedish musical contest Melodifestivalen, where the brilliant group Andra Generationen performed a song called "Kebabpizza Slivovitza."
+ 1 Red Horse, Philippines. I've praised the world's most sympathetic beer earlier here.
+ 2 KLB Rasberry Wheat, Ontario, Canada. I wrote about a travel disaster related to world's most refreshing beer here.




6 comments:
Inspirational words (I know what I’m doing tonight!). Too bad I’ve done most my travelling to countries of exotic alcoholic drinks before developing my deep rapport for beer and beer products. However, there’s one foreign beer that enjoyed tremendously and deserves a mention: the aptly named “Knockout (High Punch)”- beer of India. As far as strong beers go, this is my absolute favourite. The label states: “contains more than 8%” and I’m pretty confident that “more” is a severe understatement. True to it’s name it kicks like a mule and surprisingly tastes quite smooth. Although mainly sold in Maharashtra , Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, you should be able to find some in Delhi. Also worthwhile are Godfather (sold in the state of J&K) and Stud. Especially the latter, if only because of the name. STUD! With an awesomely manly name like that, I speculate that if consumed, this beer is capable of impregnating women.
And then there’s arak, but that stuff is nasty. The ominous tastes is nothing compared to the potentially lethal hangover that follows.
Also, your descriptions of Red Horse and Raspberry Wheat caused me to daydream during work. Too bad there’s only Olvi in my fridge. Weak.
Hello,
I remember drinking Bia Hoi in Vietnam... it was pretty cheap and social around the cross roads in Hanoi. Love that place.
Nice article.
Paul @
TravMonkey.com
Toxic Waste Man, what a greenhorn you are! Really. A proper noob. I remember (I'm sure you knew this was coming) when I started travelling and ended up in Kath (that's Kathmandu, noob) in 1984 with the serious intent of getting to understand the local culture, to get real. No, the usual Freak street offerings were nothing to me, I wanted to get to know the REAL Kath.
And did I manage to do it? Did I, did I really. With my friend we emptiet a plastic bucket of chang, home made rice brew, in the backroom of a butcher. Tasted nice...and the odour of the water buffalo carcasses hanging from the hooks finalaized the experience.
Next evening we destroyed a bottle of rakshi, local moonshine, in the comfort of our hotel room. Taste was quite demanding. We did not lose eyesight, which was a bonus.
How about the home made Slivovits that I bought from a cop in Serbia. real nice stuff...and again, no white stick needed in the morning.
Serbian Vinjak, which according to my Serbian friends is a chemically pruduced version of brandy, was rather nice too. Accompanied with herb booze called Ttravaritsa it really did make a difference.
Mongolian vodka (can't remember its name - Aral? or something) was also a welcome treat after 6 day train ride through Russia. It was Gorba times and the train was dry. We did of course have a respectable amount of alcohol with us, but when you have nothing to do for 6 days...the booze somehow disappears from bottles rather fast.
Oh Toxic, I could bore you to tears with my ancient stories, but you would not understand, would you? Those were the days...and you will never ever be able to experience those REAL times. So sorry bout that, kid.
Yeah, I'm sure you could go on and on bragging about how much liquor you've poured down your mouth over the years. I was just recommending a few beers one ought to try out when visiting India, and not trying gain respect from other drunken degenerates by listing the times I've been drunk abroad. However, if boasting about being an alcoholic is something that boosts your self-confidence, be my guest.
By the way, is this you? http://media.photobucket.com/image/alcohol%20demotivator/mrjayz0930/Motivational%20Posters/ALCOHOL.jpg
The lady in the pic has a certain resemblance with your lady friend, I believe.
I obviously wouldn't know how many beers you have downed today, but it must have been many. Or maybe you just allowed your emotions to take control. See, I can't find a single word in my message describing how drunk I have been. Not at all...was just trying to introduce of few, quite rare but very interesting drinks.
But now that you mentioned it: one could get reasonably drunk with any of them.
Give my love to your gf...or...nah, forget it.
Being an indian and a fan of the 'exotic' beers one can get here; i have had my fair share ;) of all the beers you have mentioned here. But the Disco Gin, sounds intresting, could you give some information on where i'll be able to get one of those??
BTW i stumbled on your blog when i was doing some research on J&K planning to go there soon on my Old Royal Enfield :D.. And i've got to say.. Inspiring stuff.. Loved it!!
All the best.. for the rest of your journey.
Next time you come to india do try the coconut wine (Toddy) u get in kerala.. Highly recomended..
Post a Comment