Thursday, 27 August 2009

This hurts! Medical costs for a trip around the world

Getting vaccinated is not enough when one is preparing for a trip around the world. In addition I consulted two doctors in order to get my hands on certain prescription drugs, vaccinated and just to know I was fine. Medical costs ended up being way more than I anticipated but better to be safe than sorry. Some of the vaccinations like the series of three Havrix shots for hepatatis A I had had already so thankfully that reduced the costs a little. Actually, not so little. I think that the three Havrix shots and two shots of Engerix for hepatitis B cost me about a 200 € at the time.

Here's what it all cost me:
  • 60 € travel specialist, one consultation
  • 18 € consultation with a nurse for booster shot
  • 44 € vaccination for Japanese encephalitis
  • 44 € booster shot for Japanese encephalitis
  • 38 € vaccination for yellow fever
  • 20 € vaccination for polio
  • 37 € booster shot of Engerix for hepatatis B
  • 30 € vaccination for typhoid
  • 81,70 € gynecologist
  • 10,88 € siprofloxin, antibiotic
  • 13,32 fluconazole, antifungal antibiotic
  • 130 € Lariam, for malaria / 6 months
  • 196 € contraceptive pills
  • 6 € Imodium for tummy
  • 5 € antibacterial cream
  • 20 € for the load of pain killers
  • 8 € blister plasters
The sum total: 761,90 euros. Autch. And then there was the dentist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oho! How much was the dentist?

Unknown said...

About 500 €. But I hadn't seen one in about 8 years so I guess it wasn't that bad.
And I'm so happy you're commenting Leeni!